19 October 2007

Day of Respect




Today is "Day of Respect" at my son's school. This is the 7th year of this important event that brings people from all walks of life to the school to teach the children about diversity, different jobs, exposes them to people and things from all walks of life. It also was the dedication of their International Peace Rose Garden, one of only of few in the world. There was a blessing by some Native Americans, led by a woman from Mexico and I was so moved by her blessing of the new rose garden, that when the ceremony ended, I talked to her and introduced her to Maya and she gave Maya a blessing. It was so moving that I'm still all teary-eyed and emotional about it. I want Maya to notive her history as a Mayan Indian. I'm including a short video of the blessing and also some pictures of the day, including a 1940's Army helicopter that landed at the school and the kids got to get inside and try it out. Police and fire were there, a librarian, a woman with dogs, a man with a parrot and more. They traveled around to each classroom talking about life and respect and everything under the sun.




No comments: